Senator Cornyn

Wildfires in the Panhandle

It will take years for Texans to recover from the devastating wildfires across the Panhandle that have claimed three lives, hundreds of homes and businesses, and countless livestock. As the largest wildfire in Texas history ravages the Panhandle, first responders - including volunteer firefighters - are putting their lives on the line for their fellow Texans.

Recently, wildfires ignited across the Texas Panhandle and have scorched nearly 1.3 million acres of land. While multiple fires remain active, the Smokehouse Creek fire in Hutchinson County, which is the largest wildfire in Texas history and the second largest in U.S. history, is only partially contained.

Ranchers have lost cattle. Families have lost homes. And multiple Texans have lost their lives, including the Fire Chief for the Fritch Volunteer Fire Department. I’ve spoken with county judges in many of the affected areas and Texas Department of Emergency Management Chief Nim Kidd to offer my full support.

I will continue to work alongside Senator Cruz, Governor Abbott, and others to make sure Texas has what it needs from the federal government. I am thankful for the countless first responders in Texas and across the country who have bravely answered the call and continue to fight these devastating fires. It will take years for Texans to put their lives and livelihoods back together, and I stand ready to help the Lone Star State rebuild from the ashes.

The resources have been provided by the U.S. Department of Agriculture. Visit for more information.
  • Producers who experience livestock deaths in excess of normal mortality may be eligible for the Livestock Indemnity Program (LIP). To participate in LIP, producers will need to provide documentation of death losses and submit a notice of loss to the USDA Farm Service Agency (FSA) no later than the annual program payment application date. The LIP payment application and notice of loss deadline is March 3, 2025, for 2024 calendar year losses.
  • Meanwhile, the Emergency Assistance for Livestock, Honeybees, and Farm-Raised Fish Program (ELAP) provides eligible producers with compensation for feed and grazing losses and transportation cost associated with transporting feed/forage to livestock and livestock to feed.  For ELAP, producers are required to complete a notice of loss and a payment application to their local FSA office no later than Jan. 30, 2025, for 2024 calendar year losses.   
  • Producers who have risk protection through federal crop insurance or FSA’s Noninsured Crop Disaster Assistance Program (NAP) should report crop damage to their crop insurance agent or FSA office, respectively. If they have crop insurance, producers should provide a notice of loss to their agent within 72 hours of initial discovery of damage and follow up in writing within 15 days.
  • For NAP covered crops, a Notice of Loss (CCC-576) form must be filed within 15 days of the loss becoming apparent, except for hand-harvested crops, which should be reported within 72 hours.  
  • Outside of the primary nesting season, emergency and non-emergency haying and grazing of Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) acres may be authorized to provide relief to livestock producers in areas affected by a severe drought or similar natural disasters. Producers interested in haying or grazing of CRP acres should contact their county FSA office to determine eligibility. 
  • FSA’s Emergency Conservation Program (ECP) can assist landowners with financial and technical assistance to remove debris from farmland such as woody material, sand, rock and materials from collapsed hoop houses/high tunnels on cropland or pastureland. Through the program, FSA can provide assistance toward the restoration or replacement of fences including livestock cross fences, boundary fences, cattle gates or wildlife exclusion fences on agricultural land. 
  • Additionally, the Emergency Forest Restoration Program (EFRP) can assist eligible owners of nonindustrial private forestland to also restore the land by removing debris, repairing forestland roads, and replacing fence. For both programs, farmers and ranchers should check with their local FSA office to find out about sign-up periods, which are set by the FSA County Committee.

Resources to help producers and landowners determine which programs are most applicable:

If you need assistance with crop insurance claims, you should contact your crop insurance agent.

If you need assistance with the FSA or NRCS programs, you should contact your local USDA Service Center.

  • Find a Red Cross shelter near you at
  • For general help or to find out where you can volunteer, call 211.
  • For road closures across Texas, click here.
  • Download the FEMA app for iPhone with emergency information by county here.
  • To get help filing a personal insurance claim, call the Texas Department of Insurance’s Consumer Help Line at 800-252-3439 (Note: this is not an emergency number)
  • Medicare Cards: Call 800-772-1213 or click here.
  • Social Security Cards: Call 800-772-1213 or click here.
  • Birth and Death Certificates: Call 888-963-7111 or visit this website.
  • Passports: Call 202-955-0430 or 877-487-2778 or click here.
  • Texas Drivers Licenses: Call 512-424-2600 or click here.
  • SNAP Cards / Lone Star Cards (food stamps): Call 800-777-7328 or click here.
  • Green Cards: Call 800-375-5283 or click here.
  • Bank Checks, ATM/Debit Cards, or Safe Deposit Boxes: Call 877-275-3342 or click here.
  • Credit Cards: Contact your issuing institution: American Express (800-992-3404), Discover (800-347-2683), MasterCard (800-622-7747), or Visa (800-847-2911).
  • Credit Reports: Contact Equifax, Experian, or Transunion at 877-322-8228 or visit
  • Fraud Alerts or a Credit Freeze: Call 877-438-4338 or click here.
  • U.S. Savings Bonds: Call 800-722-2678 or 800-553-2663 or click here.
  • Tax Returns: Call 800-829-1040 or click here.
  • Military Records: Call 866-272-6272 or click here.
  • Vehicle Titles: Call 888-368-3689 or click here.
  • Insurance Documents: Check with your insurance agent.
  • Real Estate and Property Records: Contact your agent or click here.
  • Medical and Prescription Records: Call your doctor or pharmacy as medical and prescription records are tracked electronically.
  • Replace a Texas Marriage Record or Certificate: Visit this website for information or visit this site for your issuing Clerk of Court.
  • Proof of Address/Residency: Click here.
  • National Archives Records: Click here for information about saving family records.

Need Help with a Federal Agency?

Want to Tell Senator Cornyn What You Think?