Senator Cornyn

Support for Veterans

As the son of a veteran, Senator Cornyn is personally dedicated to looking out for the interests of all military personnel, active and retired, who call Texas home. The honor-bound agreement between our men and women in uniform and our nation does not end at retirement. No veteran should ever be forgotten.

If you have a claim or appeal with the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)Senator Cornyn would be pleased to check on the status of your claim or make an inquiry on your behalf. Although casework staff does not have the ability to influence the outcome, we can help to ensure due process, which means that your claim will be given appropriate consideration.

Some of the issues that veterans experience in reference to VA Medical Centers include questions about treatment, fee basis cards, prescriptions, and nursing care. Senator Cornyn can make a congressional inquiry on a veteran’s behalf in these situations and ask the hospital to respond to the veteran’s concerns.

If your issue is timesensitive, please call the Dallas office at 972-239-1310.

If you need assistance with a veterans issue, including questions about the Department of Veterans Affairs, please complete the online form below. Once you do so, you will be prompted to print and sign a privacy release form, which you will need to return to our office.

  • Online Enrollment — The fastest and easiest way to apply for enrollment and health benefits is online through the VA’s website.
  • Telephone Enrollment — You can apply for enrollment by phone, Monday through Friday, between 8:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. A VA representative will send your completed form to you for verification and signature. To enroll via telephone, call 1-877-222-VETS (8387).
  • Mail Enrollment — Print the 10-10EZ form or call 1-877-222-VETS (8387) to have one mailed to you. Complete and sign the application and then mail it to your local VA medical center or clinic.
  • In Person Enrollment — You can enroll in person at the VA medical center or clinic nearest you.
  • Online Claim Application  The VA website provides the latest news and resources available to veterans. To apply for benefits, the VA uses the eBenefits website, which enables servicemembers, veterans and their beneficiaries, and other designated individuals to apply for benefits while monitoring the progress on the internet.

  • Assistance through Veterans’ Organizations  You may also wish to contact one of Texas’ many veterans’ service organizations or county service officers. In many cases, these organizations have service officers who can assist you throughout the claims process free of charge. See the Veterans Assistance link below.

  • Veterans Claims Assistance Act (VCAA) Letter and 5103 Notice: Due to changes to Public Law 112-154, effective February 2, 2013, the VA no longer sends what was known as the VCAA letter. The VA now sends a “5103 notice” to veterans. The previous requirements of the VCAA caused many veterans to receive multiple notices addressing the same condition and did not necessarily increase the veteran’s understanding of the claims process. The changes to Public Law 112-154 do not change the content of the VCAA notice, now the 5103 notice. The changes allow the VA flexibility to deliver such notices in a more efficient manner, including electronic notification and notices on claims application forms, thus providing notification information prior to claim submission. 
  • Prescription Assistance: For prescription assistance, contact the patient representative at the Veterans Affairs Medical Center where you receive treatment. If you are having an issue with copayments or incorrect medication, please contact the Dallas office at 972-239-1310.
  • Veterans Suicide Prevention Hotline: Call 1-800-273-8255 or send a text message to 838255 to speak with a trained professional available 24 hours a day to help aid in an immediate crisis.
  • National Call Center for Homeless Veterans: Call 1-877-424-3838 to speak with a  trained professionals available 24 hours a day to help veterans locate food, shelter, and clothing.
  • Women VA Hotline: Call 1-855-VA-WOMEN to speak with a representative about the available health services and resources for women veterans.
  • The National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) contains all service records from World War I to present. Often, veterans will need records to support a VA claim, for Social Security purposes, when applying for employment, and to obtain medals. Although Senator Cornyn cannot normally expedite the request for records, the casework staff can make these requests on behalf of the veteran.

    It is important to note that the NPRC suffered a fire in 1973 in which many service records were destroyed. Because of this, the NPRC is sometimes unable to provide original records. The center does, however, have resources by which a veteran’s records can be reconstructed.

    If you have just recently been discharged from the military (within 6 months), your servicerecords may still be located at the headquarters for the branch in which you served.

    Obtaining a copy of discharge papers, service records and/or service medals and decorations

    You can file a request online by clicking here. The NPRC’s Standard Form 180 (SF-180) can also be used to process all of these requests. The length of time it takes for each request to be processed depends on the type of request. 

    You can also submit a letter by mail or by fax for your military records. The letter should include the veteran’s complete name used while in the service, service number or Social Security number, branch of service,dates of service, and date and place of birth, especially if service number is not known. If the request pertains to a record that may have been destroyed in the 1973 fire, also include place of discharge, last unit of assignment, and place of entry into service, if known.

    Contacting the National Personnel Records Center

    Military Personnel Records
    9700 Page Avenue
    St. Louis, MO 63132-5100
    (314) 801-0800
    (314) 801-9195 (fax)
    Status check:

    Civilian Personnel Records
    111 Winnebago Street
    St. Louis, MO 63118-4126
    (314) 801-9250
    (314) 801-9269 (fax)


  • Texas’ VA Medical Centers and Outpatient Clinics: Please visit the VA website to find the VA medical center or clinic nearest you.
  • Texas Vet Centers: Please visit the VA website to find the vet center nearest you.
  • Texas Veterans Service Organizations (VSOs): Many veterans service organizations have representatives with experience in assisting veterans with their VA claims. You may wish to contact yourcounty veterans service officer in whichever county you may reside to explore your options. A comprehensive list of these officers may be found here. Furthermore, the VA website is a good resource that you may wish to visit for more information regarding this matter.

Request Additional Assistance

Personal Information

Additional Information